Galatians 6:9

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. Galatians 6:9

Colossians 1:10

That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God. Colossians 1:10

Wait, you're what?

We're in the business of raising autonomous adults NOT children here!

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES

Monday, January 2, 2012

Our family decided that we were sick and tired of feeling sick and tired from what we eat (junk) and what we do (sit around a lot). Remember last week I made the post about not eating out. Well, Daniel has also been working out 6 days a week doing Insanity. It's like P90X but more insane. He started that before we radically changed our eating habits.

In the middle of December, after we came back from Beaches, we made the conscious choice to eat more fresh produce and lean meat and less, a lot less, junk. I must admit, Daniel has much more will power then I do. I love my fruits and veggies, but I also love my unhealthy junk food too. I bought the girls (and myself...ok maybe more for myself than them) ice cream sandwiches because they were being so cute and lovely last Saturday night. I was just going to get them a small thing of mint chocolate chunk ice cream to share, but then I persuaded Yahaira into wanting the ice cream sandwiches (so I could have some too).

Yesterday we drove by Cam's Pizza, and for some reason I really, really, wanted some of that greasy cheese pizza. I know it's not good for  me. I was sensible and continued driving home, without stopping, where I made our family steak fajitas with brown rice. Yeah, steak isn't exactly lean meat, but Daniel gives himself 1 day a week to eat a little less healthy (though still no Doritos, or cheesecake, or stuff like that).

Well, we decided we wanted to buy a juicer so we can make our own juice. You know that the stuff you buy in the store is NOT healthy, no matter what they say! There is so much sugar in that stuff. It's been so processed that most of the nutrients are weak and near non existent. I remember being in Hawaii visiting my bestest friend in the whole world (well, second bestest because Daniel is numero uno) and drinking the green juice she made. It was chock full of vegetables, spinach, onion, celery, carrots, and an apple or two. It was surprisingly good! Yesterday I texted mi amiga and asked her which juicer she has because we want to buy one. She asked if we had watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I had forgotten about the documentary (I was told to watch is back in August but forgot). Well, we watched it last night and let me tell you. WOW. It is such an inspiring movie. Here's the trailer. Watch it.
So after watching the documentary, and mulling it over in my brain all last night, I woke up with the realization that the only reason I crave junk food is because I've trained my body to enjoy eating that junk food. If I simply don't eat it, I simply don't crave it. I thought,


"I don't ever crave Indian food. I don't ever crave it because I've NEVER eaten it before. How can my body want something (specific) if it's never had it? Yes, if you don't intake any food for a period of time your body will crave any food. But I'm talking about a specific craving. I never crave shrimp because I've never eaten it."

You get the idea? Well then I thought about my kids, and how what I feed them leads them into a life long pattern of eating habits. If I feed them lots of sugary foods, they will crave primarily sugary foods. I was blown away by this. Praise God that I learned this while they are still little (5, 2 and still growing).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to hear from you all, so leave me a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...