Galatians 6:9

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. Galatians 6:9

Colossians 1:10

That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God. Colossians 1:10

Wait, you're what?

We're in the business of raising autonomous adults NOT children here!

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES

Saturday, January 5, 2013

There's always some learning going on around here

Even though I have been sick with a fever (and very much detached from life) for the past 3 days somehow these kids keep on learning. Now this learning really had very little to do with me. Really. I was usually curled up in the fetal position in bed, or headed that way most of the past 3 days. I did start to pop some 800mg ibuprofen to keep my fever down just to be able to get out of bed.

Ok, so the learning.

Baby Daniel is learning to sit up. Last night I propped him up and put pillows around him to cushion a fall. I gave him his elephant toy, sat back and watched. He was able to sit up without keeling right over! He even kept upright for quite awhile before he went into the sandwich mode (where they bend completely over in the sitting position). 


Israella is learning to interact in a group setting and to follow instructions. Yesterday was her first day of her new gymnastics class. She had 1-on-1 private lessons before, but since she's turning 3 next month she was able to join the preschool class. She did have to come have a talking with me 3 times in her 1 hour class, but hopefully she'll learn that she needs to listen to Ms. Penny just as she would her mommy.

Yahaira decided to learn how to write her name in cursive. Last night I wrote her name for her on the etch-a-sketch. She then traced it and practiced over and over again. This is what she gave me this morning . That's some pretty impressive penmanship for only an hour or 2 of practice.
There was no coercion into learning to write her name in cursive. There was no suggestion of it. Daniel actually tried to discourage her from it because he thinks cursive is lame and useless. After having our little parent pow-wow, he did come to admit that it is good (as a means to develop some initiative and that fact that she is excited to learn it). No more discouraging comments.


I had actually started to feel like a "bad" parent because the girls had just been watching videos pretty much all day, every day for the past 3 days to keep them sedated while I was sedated myself. I know if I have too much screen time my head starts to hurt and my brain feels so sluggish. Well, I am happy to report that they are contently playing with their polly pockets at the moment. It's fun to sit back and listen to their imaginations take charge. At times it's better entertainment than a movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to hear from you all, so leave me a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...