Galatians 6:9

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. Galatians 6:9

Colossians 1:10

That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God. Colossians 1:10

Wait, you're what?

We're in the business of raising autonomous adults NOT children here!

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Do your kids love math?

Another proof as to why we don't force schooling upon our kids (at least while they are young):

Monday night, after we finished eating dinner, Yahaira asked, "Mommy, can I play some math games?" Daniel and I just gave each other a pleased look and answered, "Sure you can!" The game she was playing wasn't even really a game. It was online, but you seriously are just answering addition problems. No fancy sounds or races to anywhere. Just a caterpillar with shoes on if you get the answer right. She is figuring out how to add larger numbers, like 8 + 4, and 9 + 6. I tried to explain how I learned to remember those numbers, but then realized I was just confusing her (as I would confuse my teacher when I tried to explain the same stuff when I was a kid...some people just learn different "tricks" that work for them). So I just told her to count on her fingers if she needed to. Well, a few minutes later she came up with her own way of figuring the bigger numbers out without counting on her fingers the whole time. She finds a number she knows, like 9 + 1 = 10 so then add 5 more and you have 15; 9 + 6 = 15. Whatever works for her works for me:) ~Funny thing is, it's a lot like the way I figured out to add when I was a youngster too ;-p

So we continue not to push and force learning, but rather facilitate it by finding things she likes and let her blossom at her own pace, and we couldn't be more pleased with the "progress" the girls are making.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to hear from you all, so leave me a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...